Who We Are

Saturday, February 26, 2011

A beard, a boy and a cake.

The Beard: I started growing a beard a while ago, around the beginning of November. I have wanted to grow a large beard for a while but I've never been able to do so. Usually I'll get about a month and a half or so into the process and I'll start playing with it and pulling on it and it'll start irritating my face. This ends up making me get tired of the beard and then shave it off. So far I've made it almost 4 months with this beard, though. At first it was just something I decided to do - Wendy allowed me to go for it, so I did. But I realized a few weeks ago that I started growing the beard around the time that we found out that Wendy was pregnant, so I have decided that I am going to keep the beard until the baby is born. So... if I make it the whole time, I will have had the beard for as long as we knew about the baby.


The Boy: Speaking about the baby - which is what this blog is about after all - we found out on Tuesday that we are going to have a boy. We are both very excited about this. However, it was a little more exciting for Wendy. Let me tell you why. Before we had our appointment Wendy and I decided to make a little wager about what the baby is. She thought it was going to be a boy, because most of the people she knows who have had or are having a baby produced a boy. Up until about a week and a half ago I didn't have a feeling one way or the other as to what we were going to have. Then I realized that we had pretty much selected a boy's name but not really a girl's name, so I decided that meant we were going to have a girl. And so, Wendy was more excited than me because not only did she get to know what we're gonna have, but she was also right. She was also excited because she doesn't like not knowing things, so it had been killing her to not know what the baby was. And now she gets to plan, and she likes planning.














The Cake: Part of me losing meant that I had to make Wendy a cake... from scratch. She was very excited about this - she loves cake and apparently it had kind of been a dream of hers to have her husband make her a cake. I didn't mind doing it - I had lost the wager after all, but I also kinda like cooking, and I love my wife. It took forever, though! I am very methodical, which often just ends up meaning that I do things slowly. I also had the great idea of trying to make a fudge icing rather than butter cream because I knew that she likes fudge icing sometimes. Well, that great idea didn't end up working out as well as I had hoped it would. I forgot to check the recipe to see what kind of cake the recipe could frost, so I didn't make enough. And it ended up not turning out super well. Fortunately Wendy has a great recipe for vanilla butter cream, though, so I was able to put the fudge in between the two layers of the cake and then I put the butter cream on the rest of the cake. Everything turned out ok, but I don't know that I'll ever make another cake from scratch, it was very time consuming and messy.


















Well, that's about all for now - just waiting for and looking forward to meeting our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment